Over 25 years of experience with a proven track record of developing and transforming new and existing services to improve capacity, reduce cost and improve user experience – and to do things differently. I have worked with top-tier clients in media, education, technology, charity, government, health and social care and culture sectors.
Relevant skills: service innovation design, design thinking, discovery, system change, interviewing, impact mapping, persona and user segmentation, Agile working, needs and evidence-based service blueprinting, user research and testing, research synthesis, digital strategy, presenting and reporting, business analysis, co-design, stakeholder engagement, making research relevant, product management, mentoring.
Selection of relevant clients: HM Courts and Tribunals Service (MoJ), Barnardo’s, Dept. for International Trade, UK Export Finance, Innovate UK, Microsoft, Work In Confidence, Three, BBC, Channel 4, Kent County Council, Arts and Humanities Research Council, MIT, Corporation of London, Welsh Assembly, News International, Universal Music, Moray NHS Trust, Birmingham, Children’s Hospital, Liverpool Community NHS Trust, South Worcestershire GPs and NHS Local in Birmingham.
Awards: Won over 40 national and international awards including 4 BAFTAs and a personal nomination for a TV Craft BAFTA in 2007 for Best New Media Developer.
HMCTS (MoJ), Product Owner and Service Design Consultancy
October 2019 to present
Part of HM Courts and Tribunals Service Customer Directorate team. Responsible for:
Court and Tribunal Feedback pilot and discovery (working title Fix My Court): Designed and ran a pilot to test a feedback process and online form in a high anxiety environment. Recruited and ran pilots in 14 London courts (inc Magistrates’, Crown and Civil). This project was praised internally as an exemplar of the ‘Human Voice of Justice’.
Find a Court or Tribunal discovery: ran a small team of user researchers, BA’s and tech architect to develop Alpha plan for this old, unloved but crucial component in a services users journey through courts and tribunals.
The HMCTS Customer Directorate is not an Agile organisation but wants to deliver high-quality service transformation and reform within a reasonable timeframe. My role as Service Design Consultant included developing good practice digital team working (open, transparent and collaborative working) within an Agile framework.
Barnardo’s, Service Design and Research Consultancy
April 2018 to October 2020
Barnardo’s is one of the UK’s largest children’s health and social care service providers with over 1000 services across the UK. Strategically Barnardo’s is transforming to enable the organisation to become a diverse, digital, learning organisation placed to provide better outcomes for more children through system change.
Barnardo’s Understanding Us: discovery and tech transformation project to find what staff feel, think and believe the challenges of digital and technology are in the workplace.
- Mentored and trained internal tech and information security teams (site engineers, BAs and regional managers) to become user researchers on the project as a way of introducing them to digital, user needs and Agile working
- Managed the team who undertook over 90 interviews
- Visited 10 sites and shops, ran 5 group sessions and 6 workshops
- Created and tested 6 Persona to represent all Barnardo’s staff
- Delivered key findings, recommendations and sets of user needs by persona
- Fed results into Technology Transformation Discovery and then supported the team deploying and onboarding new devices and tools
- Ran 12 showcase events introducing transformation to staff
Barnardo’s Core Priority Programme for Child Sex Abuse and Exploitation: Service design, social innovation and mentoring on start-up five-year transformation programme.
- Worked across 8 regional projects to inspire them to research, design and develop transformative new service models and thought leadership for the sector
- Delivered discoveries, developed business plan and service blueprint for Harmful Sexual Behaviour, Exploitation and Healthy Relationship services across the UK
- Supported problem statements, inception and discovery phases
- Developed design thinking across teams through workshops and mentoring
- Introduced agile working practices
- Developed National Risk Assessment Framework
- Ran a number of workshops and 25 contextual interview sessions across the UK.
Co-design with young people: Facilitated three sessions we ran with between 25 and 40 young people – we developed a toolkit for Barnardo’s staff to run co-design sessions.
#futureBarnardos: part of the kick start programme to redeploy and re-employ current Barnardo’s staff into a new digital structure and as senior consultants create a legacy of service design culture providing practical, usable tools and processes.
Dept. of International Trade, Service Design and User Research Consultancy
July 2016 to April 2018
Service design lead and user research for DITs four flagship services: Export Opportunities Great.gov.uk, Selling Online Overseas and Invest in Great Britain.
- Ran discoveries for the department’s main digital service, Export Opportunities and online integration of Department of UK Export Finance into Dept. of International Trade’s services
- Service design blueprint for Selling Online Overseas including implementing and configuring ZenDesk
- Developed cross-department projects with DFID, HMRC and UKEF
Keeping in Touch meetings with HMRC
User research with Department for International Development
Integrity and anti-corruption working group with DFID, DIT and UKEF
- Invest in Great Britain – research and development with UK and overseas stakeholders who work across over 100 British embassies and the UK’s regional sector support teams
- Formal usability and interview session – over 100 x1 hour interviews.
Three.co.uk, Transformation and UX Consultancy: March 2016 – July 2016
Digital Life Science Ltd, Director of Product and Service Design:2012 to October 2015
Illumina Digital Ltd Co-Founder, Creative Director, Director of Design and Development: 2002 to 2012
Diverse Production Ltd, Head of Interactive, Creative Director: 1995 to 2002
Short Course Diploma, Centre for Creative Businesses at London Business School
MA in Design for Interactive Media at Middlesex University
BA (Hons) in Business and Economics at University of Stirling Business School